Have you kids spent much time on Tumblr?
I've been using it for about a year, and to say I enjoy it is like saying Keith Richards kinda likes cocaine.
A friend recently asked me what the deal was with Tumblr... is it kind of like Twitter or Facebook?
I don't really have a great answer for those questions, probably because, like most things, you get out of it what you put into it, but in my experience it's a great place to spew out all of the batshit crazy things that rattle around in my brain... images, thoughts, music, Game of Thrones biz, photos of footballers, pop cultural references, and gifs (oh my the gifs). I think because the focus is primarily on a kind of immediate, short form, stream of conscious style blogging, it gives you a little glimpse into another person's inner life.
There are also a lot of moping teenagers on Tumblr. But I speak moping teenager fluently so it's not a real issue for me.
But for every 5 moping teenager Tumblr blogs, there is at least one really interesting and informative or just plain fun themed Tumblr. I thought I would share some of my absolute favorites as a kind of primer for those who are interested in taking a fall down the K-hole that is Tumblr.
1. Vintage National Geographic - scans of images from National Geographic magazines dating back to the 1800s.
|Traders in Tonle Sap, Cambodia. May, 1982.|
3. World of Mesopotamia - This is literally just cool shit from Mesopotamia: drawings, artifacts, statues, ruins, etc. Sounds boring, but it really isn't.
|Ancient Pazuzu statue.|
Pazuzu is the Assyrian king of the demons of the wind. Though an evil spirit himself, he wards off many other evil spirits so was thought to be beneficial to mankind. The original was made to resemble a common representation of the demon, such as the one in the Louvre. Pazuzu has a dog-like head, human body, wings, eagle-talon feet and snake penis.Snake penis, you guys. Whoa.
4. The Rumblr - The Rumblr is The Rumpus' Tumblr. A nice collection of quotes, articles, poems, random gifs and photos, PLUS Madame Clairevoyant's awesome horoscopes (previously discussed here).
5. My Friends Are Married - This is one of those overdone 'match a random gif to a random emotion' blogs, but its consistent accuracy and ability to make me laugh have secured its place as one of my faves.
6. Kors Metaphors - This one hasn't updated in 2 months, but it's still pretty quality for idle scrolling and mirth.
7. And these are just some random people that consistently use Tumblr to write very interesting, personal, and, of course, funny content that I always enjoy reading:
Okay... go forth and tumbl!