February 22, 2012

A Recipe From My Mama

Last night my mama made my favorite supper from my childhood... Porcupine Meatballs. So I thought I would share the recipe with you.

I never have to think very hard when people asked me what my Death Row Final Meal would be... it's pretty simple.

That's a big ol' heaping plate of Great Plains childhood right there.
And a miniature sombrero from Cozumel.
Add a slice of blueberry pie, and send me off to meet my Maker.  I can die content.



Porcupine Meatballs (serves: me)

1 lb. ground beef
1/2 c. regular rice (see note below)
1/2 c. water
1 small onion, chopped (or a handful of dehydrated minced onion)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp celery salt
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp pepper
1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
1 c water
 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce (see note below)
1/2 c to 1 c shredded mozzarella cheese (see note below)

Mix meat, rice, 1/2 c water, onion and seasonings. Shape mixture into 1 1/2 inch meatballs.

Place meatballs in ungreased baking dish, approximately 8x8x2 inches. Mix remaining ingredients and pour over meatballs. Cover with foil and bake in 350° oven for 45 minutes.   Uncover, sprinkle with mozzarella, and bake uncovered for another 15 minutes.



Notes:

- My brother (who, just like me, hated meatloaf, but looooved these) made these with minute rice.  This enables you to make larger meatballs.

- One time I didn't have any Worcestershire sauce, but I did have A1 steak sauce so I swapped it and it tasted awesome.

- Now the original recipe for this never called for cheese, and most porcupine meatball recipes don't call for cheese, but one time my mom threw some shredded mozzarella on this on a whim, and my brother and I were hooked. So I highly recommend it... and when I make this sometimes I go way overboard with the cheese, but 1/2 c to 1 c of cheese should be sufficient. 

1 comment:

  1. That's not on my diet in any way, shape, or form. I don't give a shit. I'll be making those soon.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts